This is a blog post for everyone that helped me raise money last year for the Alzheimer’s society. As I said before I was overwhelmed by the generosity!! I ended up raising $9000 far exceeding my original goal of $2000!!! So thank you thank you!!!
I recently received an email about the impact your donations had and I wanted to share it with you! Here is where the money has gone
- An increase in first link referrals
- linking people with dementia to more education from the Alzheimer’s Society at an earlier stage of the disease
- Minds in Motion expanding to more ON communities
- getting people with dementia exercising
- Finding your way program– helping to make communities safe for those living with dementia
- check it out http://www.findingyourwayontario.ca
- Funding research to help further understand hopefully one day find a cure/prevention for dementia
- areas of research funded by the Alzheimer’s Society are biomedical and quality of life
Here are some reasons as to why the donations are so important:
- everyone with a brain is at risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- the disease can’t be slowed, stopped or prevented.
- dementia is not just a disease of old age, younger-onset (also known as early-onset) Alzheimer’s disease affects people younger than age 65.
- the risk for dementia doubles every five years after age 65.
- as of 2015, 47.5 million people worldwide are now living with dementia, more than the total population of Canada.
- looking to the future – the projections are alarming; in 15 years the global number will increase to an estimated 75.6 million and will almost triple by 2050 to 135.5 million. And there will be far fewer younger adults, proportionally, to care for them.
- many are predicting we are staring down the barrel of an impending epidemic.
Of course I have a personal attachment as I am sure many of you do to this dreadful disease. So I hope you continue to educate yourself and donate to the cause.
Once again I thank each and every one of you for your generous support!!!
As I mentioned in my last blog post (https://torunningchiro.com/2016/04/21/riderun-for-heart/) this year I am fundraising for the Heart & Stroke foundation. If you would like to donate to that you can do so here:
*the information used in this blog was taken from the ‘your impact’ email from the Alzheimer’s Society